Take Five

This sweet ride was locked in front of Tucker’s Ice Cream in Alameda this afternoon (just across the street from where I spotted the cool Tiki Bike a few months ago):

Family Style

It seats five, just like the Honda Accord behind it, but I bet it was a lot more fun to ride to the ice cream shop. Sadly, I came by a few minutes too late to capture the grand arrival of this limousine, but I heard it was carrying some incredibly cute triplets.

9 Responses to “Take Five”

Wow!,never seen anything like that rig before.

In case it’s hard to tell in the photo, it seems to be an old tandem trike with some kind of triplet jogging stroller attached as a trailer. I wonder how it handles—I really wish I’d gotten to see them riding it.

3. unique distance says:

Cool ride!

Somewhat off topic: In Montreal over the weekend, I was incredibly impressed by their public bike system. It worked really, really well–much better than I had expected after reading stories about the ones in Paris and elsewhere. After a small fee (daily in our case, though if you live there you can pay an annual fee), bike rides of less than 30 minutes are free. Nowhere in the central part of the city (quite a big area–larger than my whole city, I think) are you more than about 2 blocks from a bike station, and pick-up and drop-off is very, very fast. The bikes themselves were quite comfortable and worked beautifully. They say Boston is getting the same system–I’ll believe it when I see it. Plus, Montreal’s bike infrastructure (paths, locking places, etc.) was great–the best I’ve seen in North America, maybe.

The public bike system’s website is: http://www.bixi.com/home/

Is the upper front seat for the triplets’ older sibling? The distance from that seat to the pedals looks pretty short.

unique distance: That Montreal system sounds great. SF is working towards implementing a public bike system, but it’s had a series of hiccups: first there was word that they were only going to start with 50 bikes (50 bikes!), which would obviously doom the thing to fail, since you need a reasonable scale in order to have bikes available for convenient pickup around the whole city. The city denied that it was going to start out on such a small scale, but then I think they lost the corporate sponsor who was going to help fund the launch of the program, so I don’t know where things stand now.

wordnerd: I would guess that the mother sits there. I am not totally sure, but I think I know which family this bike belongs to, and the father is unusually tall while the mother is pretty small, so that would explain the big difference between those front seats. (If I’m thinking of the correct family, then the kids are incredibly cute, as other people who were gawking at the bike had informed me…)

Isn’t it a tandem trike?

The two black seats are side by side, with the left one (farthest from us) adjusted forward pretty far, and the right seat (closer to us) adjusted back pretty far. They each have a set of pedals, cranks and a train, which can each power the trike, but which (according to the company’s website) are able to rotate independently of one another, unlike a normal tandem. You can see pictures of these tricycles from different angles here at the manufacturer’s website.

Thanks for correctng my perspective on the two front seats. I’m obviously not someone who can get sculpture from a 2D picture.

9. Cheapskate says:

This is awesome. Am I imiagining it or are there more bikes on the road these days? Not many, but a few. I am car-free myself and always tinkering with my baskets and trailer. Luckily, my kids are plenty old enough to ride their own bikes.