The Long Way Home

I worked a short day today (an hour! talk about part time!), so I used a very roundabout route to get home and took a bunch of pictures on the way. You can probably tell by the unmolested dollar bill that this Buddha is in Alameda, not Oakland:

The Four Noble Truths

The bird of paradise qualifies that photo for the ongoing bird project that I mentioned a little while back (if one of my regular commenters thinks that a Navy warplane counts, then surely a bird of paradise counts too). And this pelican is a new find:

Pelican

I was very happy to catch this adorable older couple rowing their dory in front of Oakland’s industrial waterfront:

Dory

And I knew that Americans often worshipped their automobiles, but this is ridiculous:

Parking Church

There are about a dozen more new shots at my Flickr page, and a few others will dribble out here in coming days, because they require their own posts. Enjoy!

Suspension

6 Responses to “The Long Way Home”

Liked the blues one on the flickr page–and all the rest too, of course. Thanks too, by the way, for the link to jim webb’s parade article, which blew my mind. In Parade magazine no less! And the new drug czar is from de-criminalizing Seattle? I had forgotten that politics could be mainstream and not pure evil…

I think the Health Care Reform mug with the AARP logo to the left of Buddha is a nice touch.

PS,That Dory looks like it might be rowing to a Pirate ship.

The Blues! Fantastic…As usual, they make you feel good.

Thanks. I actually took that “blues” picture last week, the same day as the “signs” store window that I posted here.

The failure of the war on drugs seems to be acknowledged by more and more people on all sides of the political spectrum these days, except for most of the people who actually have power to do change something about it, who all have a personal stake in perpetuating the failed policies. Obama, who presumably knows full well how counterproductive our current anti-drug strategies are, still couldn’t (wouldn’t) risk giving a serious response to the marijuana question in that online town hall last week. I don’t necessarily blame him—given the other problems he’s dealing with, he has to choose his battles, and getting a bunch of headlines about being soft on drugs isn’t necessarily a useful step toward rationalizing our policies—but it does show how taboo the subject of decriminalization is in Washington. So it’s all the more impressive that Webb is speaking out on the issue.

A few days ago, one of the LA Times’s columnists profiled a retired Republican prosecuter in Orange County who is pushing for legalization. Maybe I’m too optimistic, but I have the feeling that more and more people are starting to see how counterproductive current policies are.

jabel: Funny—maybe they had the miniature pirate stowed away on board. That couple actually wasn’t very far from the rotting shipwreck that I took some pictures of back in January. I should go back to that spot and get some better pictures of the beached boat, now that I have a camera with more zoom power.

The end of Prohibition was to Depression 1 what Decriminalization will be to Depression 2?