“Avis: We Try Harder” (…to push gas guzzlers on you)

Avis ad

This ad (slightly condensed horizontally to fit here more easily) was a banner across an article at the Oakland Tribune website today. Memo to Avis: Hummers are not “cool cars,” not even the H3 shown in the ad, described without irony at the Hummer website as “the midsize SUV” and “proof positive that good [sic] things can come in small [sic] packages.”

6 Responses to ““Avis: We Try Harder” (…to push gas guzzlers on you)”

1. avoice says:

Here you have gone total nutso on me. Are you saying, implying, and/or hinting that Americans do not have a God-given, Constitutional right to buy, drive and gas up mid-sized SUV’s? Don’t let this Obama election go to your head! Be warned.

Okay, I’m warned. I was already cautious whenever an SUV was heading in my direction, but now I’ll be even more so. And I was anti-SUV long before I’d ever heard of Barack Obama.

Is it the third amendment that includes the right-to-waste-fossil-fuels-and-pollute-the-air clause, or the seventh amendment? I always forget. Luckily, the first amendment still gives me the right to point out that there’s nothing “cool” about SUVs, and to criticize Avis for saying so.

AVIS means BIRD. Can you imagine anything less bird-like than an SUV?

Easy target, David. But I’m afraid with these temporarily low gas prices (about what I paid per gallon 20 years ago, when I was in college), we’re having an indian summer of the gas guzzler right now. Just wait!

wordnerd: “Can you imagine anything less bird-like than an SUV?” SUV’s are albatrosses about our collective necks, aren’t they?

You probably think birds are responsible for plane crashes, too.